Who’s on Late Night Tonight in Comedy?
Happy Presidents’ Day! or as it’s still known to the federal government, Washington’s Birthday! A day to celebrate our nation’s first President and still the only President to be born on the third Monday of February, no matter what the date.
Jimmy Kimmel is not only taking Monday off, but the entire week. That’s how much he loves the American Presidents or at least 44 of them. Conan O’Brien is also taking a week long vacation even though his show just got back on the air a month ago with its new 30 minute incarnation. However, this does give everyone the chance to see his first new half-hour premiere episode again featuring his first guest, Tom Hanks. Team Coco has put together a week’s worth of “Best Of” shows with each one featuring a very funny guest Monday through Thursday. Besides Hanksy on Monday, we’ll get Bill Hader on Tuesday, Tig Notaro on Wednesday and on Thursday’s repeat, it’s Corey Rodrigues performing stand up. Enjoy your week of very funny rerun Conan guests.
In this week’s highlights, Monday and Tuesday brings two comedy guests in late night promoting new seasons of their hilarious shows on Colbert. On Monday, Amy Sedaris will be on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert to promote the second season of her quirky entertaining-at-home satire series, “At Home with Amy Sedaris” which premieres Tuesday on truTV. Last season, Amy’s weirdly funny series where she demonstrates her craft making skills and teaches the social graces of throwing a party while playing characters and hosting guest stars, earned a Primetime Emmy Award nomination for Outstanding Variety Series. Guest stars in season 2 of “At Home” will include Matthew Broderick, Susan Sarandon, Fred Armisen, Michael Shannon, Martha Plimpton, Bridget Everett, Richard Kind, Darrell Hammond and John Early among others.
Tuesday, it’s Dan Levy’s turn in Stephen Colbert’s guest chair to promote season 5 of “Schitt’s Creek” on Pop TV. The sitcom is one of Canada’s finest exports to the United States. Created for CBC Television by Dan and his comedy legend father Eugene Levy, the series is about a super wealthy and oddly cold family who lose everything and start again, both in business and their relationships, in the tiny town of Schitt’s Creek. Besides the Levys, the series also stars comedic icons Catherine O’Hara and Chris Elliott. New episodes of “Schitt’s Creek” air in America every Wednesday at 10pm on Pop TV.
Wednesday is a great night for late night comedy on the broadcast networks. Be sure to check out Mo Amer on the Tonight Show. Mo’s first Netflix special, “The Vagabond“, premiered last October and is currently available for streaming. Mo is an Arab-American, born in Kuwait, and knows all too well the life of refugee which he has turned into comedy. He’s appeared on Colbert, “Crashing” on HBO and has toured extensively with his mentor Dave Chappelle. However, he may be most famous for a plane trip where he found himself seated next to Second Son Eric Trump who asked Mo to please ask Chappelle to take it easy on his father while not realizing the irony of a Trump asking a refugee to take it easy.
Also on Wednesday, Colin Quinn will be a guest on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert to talk about his new show, “Red State Blue State” which just recently opened at the Minetta Lane Theatre in New York City. To find out more about his latest and still brilliant effort, read our review of “Red State Blue State“ on the IBang by Debra Kessler. Then later on Wednesday night on CBS, Stephen Merchant will be on the Late Late Show with James Corden to promote the latest film he’s written and directed, “Fighting with My Family” which opens nationwide on February 22nd. It’s the story of WWE women’s superstar Paige and her long, strange road to success in pro wrestling. The comedy biopic is getting great reviews and is currently certified 93% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. If you can’t catch everything in late night on Wednesday, be sure to set your DVRs to help with some of the heavy lifting.
Finally, Friday will be a great evening for late night repeats to catch two amazing stand up performances in case you missed them the first time. Kellen Erskine’s debut JKL performance will be re-airing on a Jimmy Kimmel Live encore. Kellen was named one of the Just for Laughs New Faces of Comedy at last year’s festival in Montreal. Also on Friday, on a repeat of the Late Late Show with James Corden, you can relive history watching with the national television stand up debut again of Mekki Leeper who was also part of the 2018 JFL New Faces showcase and also named by Vulture as a “Comedian You Should Know.”
SNL will be back to repeats this coming weekend, but Saturday Night Live made the announcement that John Mulaney is returning to host for his second time on March 9th. Hopefully this means the return of drag performer Tawny Pockets!
Blow off work the next morning and stay up all this week with your favorite late night comedians.
— Saturday Night Live – SNL (@nbcsnl) February 17, 2019
Monday on Late Night
- Amy Sedaris is on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:30pm on CBS
- Paul Shaffer is on the Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:30pm on NBC
- John Oliver is on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:30am on NBC
- Tom Hanks is on Conan at 11pm on TBS (REPEAT)
Tuesday on Late Night
- Dan Levy is on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:30pm on CBS
- Desus & Mero are on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:30am on NBC
- Bill Hader is on Conan at 11pm on TBS (REPEAT)
Wednesday on Late Night
- Mo Amer is on the Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:30pm on NBC
- Colin Quinn is on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:30pm on CBS
- Stephen Merchant is on the Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:30am on CBS
- Drew Tarver & Helene Yorke are on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:30am on NBC
- Mark Duplass is on Busy Tonight at 11pm on E!
- Tig Notaro is on Conan at 11pm on TBS (REPEAT)
Thursday on Late Night
- Ken Jeong is on the Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:30pm on NBC
- Mark Duplass is on the Daily Show with Trevor Noah at 11pm on Comedy Central
- Kal Penn is on the Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:30am on CBS
- Chris O’Dowd is on the Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:30am on CBS
- Larry Charles is on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:30am on NBC
- Corey Rodrigues is on Conan at 11pm on TBS (REPEAT)
Friday on Late Night
- Hasan Minhaj is on the Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:30pm on NBC
- Kellen Erskine is on Jimmy Kimmel Live at 11:30pm on ABC (REPEAT)
- Mekki Leeper is on the Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:30am on CBS (REPEAT)
- Tyler Perry is on the Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:30am on CBS (REPEAT)
- Will Forte is on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:30am on NBC (REPEAT)
Saturday Night Live
- Repeat episode of SNL hosted by Claire Foy with musical guest Anderson .Paak from December 1, 2018
Read more comedy news.
The post Who is On Late Night Tonight in Comedy: Week of February 18, 2019 appeared first on The Interrobang.